[Michelin Restaurant 1*]: Esszimmer


I love the modern look of this Michelin 1 star restaurant in Salzburg - Esszimmer (which literarily means dining room). The restaurant is led by chef Andreas Kaiblinger, who grew up in Salzburg and is known for casting a creative insight using local produce. 

I love the modern fireplace that they had, which conveys a really warm, welcoming atmosphere. 


So more on the food, I chose the Esszimmer menu ( it was such a debate since I am a fish lover and they had another course that's entirely devoted to fish!)

Esszimmer Menu


Tuna, Wasabi, Jerusalem artichoke and black garlic
-2013 Riesling Johannisberg, Geyerhof, Kremstal

I would say there was a lot of asian influence in this dish, the soft tuna blends in very well with the wasabi and the balsamic vinegar sauce underneath it, and the white foams helps to almost cleanse the palette before your next surprise. There were crunchy garlic pieces and ginger slices as well.




Danube salmon in parsley stock with parsley root and black olives
- 2013 Gruner Veltliner Wechselberg, Birgit Eichinger, Kamptal

I have to say this dish tasted very similar to the another salmon soup that I had at Silvio Nickol, but with denser and stronger in terms of flavor. The salmon was perfectly cooked. A bit too rich for my liking, but it was delicious nonetheless.


Sea bass with apple, celery and beet root
-2013 Grauburgunder, Pioder-Rosenberg, Sudoststeiermark

I love how the crispy skin of the sea bass pairs so well with the acidy from apple and the light fragrance from the beetroot.


Saddle of lamb, braised shoulder of lamb with couscous and ratatouilli
- 2010 Pago de carrovejas Tinto Crianza, Ribera de Duero

Lamb shoulders when done properly, are sweet and succulent, without feeling guilty of all the fattiness it brings. The meat should fall off the bone almost instantly and that was exactly what it did.
It was so tender and soft there wasn't much chewing needed. This is that ultimate finale -- packed with strong, bold flavors that enriches the soul.


Olive strudel and olive sorbet with salt almonds, dried apricot and nougat
- 20 years old Tawny, Dirk von Niepoort, Duoro

I was so full by then that there was no room for dessert...so I cannot comment on this. But the rest of the stuff that I had, everything just synchronizes and builds towards a grand finale.

0 comments: