Mrs. B

I want to talk about this woman I met last year, Mrs. B.
She has the most endearing grins, and beneath her age-torn wrinkles, she masters the type of positive energy that one just wants to get close to.

She’s not your typical happy go lucky. Actually, she has had two spinal operations, and there are days when she would be in so much pain that all she could do is lie in bed.

Her mother-in-law, for many years, saw her as an outsider, and would often book lunch with her son, but with a table for two instead of three.

Yet, she never gave in. “My mother told me, you should kill people with kindness.”
And that’s what exactly she did. She was the one who goes to the old nursing home every day to care for her mother-in-law.

When her husband died, (he’s much much older than her), she continued to do so. Don’t get me wrong, she still has her standards, but she knows the exceptions.

Despite our age being 30+ years apart, I just know that something clicked between us. We’d laugh so hard together, as if we were just like two kindergarten kids.

Age makes no difference in friendship, character does.

A friend was telling me that she finds it hard to make friends in workforce, because there are all these “other” kinds of people out there.

And I told her that I believe, “every encounter has a purpose and a meaning but we just don’t get to determine whether they are fleeting or eternal”.

Even those who has harmed us and hurt us. It’s okay. I’d like to think that people are good in general, just that there are moments when they are blinded, and faltered by jealousy, greed, lust or fear.


So cherish those who are around us today, and cherish more of those who have already took their chance and departed. Now you are free, with a strong will, to become better person. 

0 comments: